Wednesday, September 16, 2009

As I Lay Dying - Just Starting


So i have just started to read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner who i talked about in my previous post. So i have gotten some more background information on the book itself this time. First of all the book was written in six weeks while William Faulkner was working at a power plant at the time he wrote the book. The book was published in 1930 and has been described by Faulkner himself as a "tour de force". The title of the book comes from Book XI of Homer's The Odyssey from the quote "As I lay dying, the woman with the dog's eyes would not close my eyes as I descended into Hades". The novel is known for its stream of consciousness writing technique, multiple narrators (15 for some reason) and varying chapter lengths. One chapter only has five words during how this makes sense i have no clue. The book is done through a stream of consciousness (a narrative mode that seeks to portray an individuals point of view by giving the written equivalent of the character's thought processes). In other words i think this means the story is told through other character's point of view as opposed to through the actions of the main character. I think this could be interesting way to write a story but depending on the plot it could just drag out the story too.
As I Lay Dying has been consistently ranked among the best novels of the 20th century, the novel has been reprinted by the Modern Library, the Library of America and many other publishers. The novel has also influenced a number of other critically acclaimed books including Graham Swift's Last Orders. Also Grammy-nominated metal core band As I Lay Dying derived its name from the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment